Transportation engineering is the application of technology and scientific principles to the planning, functional design, operation and management of facilities for any mode of transportation in order to provide for the safe, efficient, rapid, comfortable, convenient, economical, and environmentally compatible movement of people and goods. This includes Rural Road Design, Highway and Airport Design. Airport Design is a specialty within Transportation that is dictated by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA).
KED develops engineering, design and construction plans that meet the FAA standards for civil airports and heliports. This includes the airside operations, such as the following examples:
- Runway/Taxiway Design;
- Airfield Pavement;
- Airport Lighting, Marketing, Signs and other visual aids;
- Safety during construction and deicing facilities.
- Landside operations including Airport Rescue Fire Fighting (ARFF) facilities, Hangars, Parking Facilities and associated structures.
KED has extensive experience in the following areas:
- Roadway & Sidewalk Design
- Traffic Control Plans
- Pavement Marketing Plans
- Airport Design (Airside and Landside)
- NCDOT Roadside Environmental Plans (Reclamation Maps, Borrow Pits, Waste Sites)
- Management Plans